I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Friday, January 9, 2009

Log Cabin

I am moving on with my home style selection. The barn guy hasn't contacted me, his barn is still standing so I don't know what is up, but I am not concerned. I love log cabins, too,  and either one is just as wonderful to me. I have been doing tons of research on the floor plans. So many to chose from.  As a kid I loved playing in the barn and the chicken coop. I also had admired log cabins since childhood and I can say they may have a slight advantage in my heart. I am leaning toward the log home.
I visited three log homes last Sunday from around Ma's and they each had their own unique qualities. I like the idea of cutting our own white pine, debarking it, and using it for the house. That's the romantic side of me. But realistically, short of physical manpower, I may go with wholesale milled logs.
I am surprised at how endless the varieties of logs there are and certainly log homes. Even with a simple traditional cabin (which is what I'm headed for) there are so many log choices. And with those log choices also comes construction choices. If I go with round then I'll have chinking. Lots of types of chinking also.
 Then there are the notches. Lots of types, Swedish coping, two notch, single, grooves, splines, etc.  
I have decided on the butt and pass style corners, though. They are the kind I picture when I picture a log cabin.

No comments: