I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Home show

I went to a tiny home show last Saturday. The up side to it was I had the vendors attention for Q & A and didn't have to squeeze in to any booths through masses of elbows. 

Weird thing, though, was how surprised this one guy (log home vendor) was when he asked if I was doing this by myself. I responded, "well, sort of, but not really 'cause I'm hiring all my childhood friends to do the heavy stuff", but anyway, he didn't listen to a word I said. He kept saying "Wow, you are so interesting!!!!!...I never expected to meet anyone soooo interesting here today."

He couldn't believe a girl could/would get involved in building...huh? so he quickly raced to my rescue and said he would come out to the property and use his compass and orient the house (as I had mentioned southern exposure for passive solar) and mark off the building site, etc. 
I thought it was so funny. Yet not.

BTW, I was a girl scout and, as you know from previous posts, I mark out everything quite effectively with all my color coded string and flags. lol

(I moved into the color coded string after I had so many strings running around the property I quickly realized that using white for this and yellow for that, etc. simplified everything.)

Then when I asked what wood his company used for the homes and he said all white pine. Surprised, I said, "for the rafters? because the tensile strength of white pine is not recommended for rafters." 

"Oh", he said,  "well, no, gee, you've done some research, no, we use Douglas fir." 

A hah! Just as I suspected.


No comments: