I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pumpin'

I got to pump the well myself today. Barry says it's like watching paint dry. He handed the job over to me today, so I don't have to pay him to come out 2 hours a day for the next few days. I get to do it. I started the generator by myself, yes, to those doubters, and ran the well pump. I had so much fun!
I realize more and more how I have almost no one to share all this fun with, so I hope some people are out there reading this blog.
I used my 'new' drawknife today and cleaned the bark off a log. I tried it yesterday so see if it was hard to do or not. Not. Only where the branches stick out, then yes.
I was so fortunate that I went to a wood workers show on Sunday and bought it from an antique tool vendor who happens to live near the build site! Coincidence. Nice old-timer. He helped me select one that would fit my hands and body size well, and it truly does.
I love using it. I moved the log after I finished it to a place to dry and I dropped it on my thigh so that is the kind of stuff I have to be really careful about! I may have to think about getting steel toed boots, too.
I will peel as many of the fallen pines as possible. I can use them for stairs and porch poles, and railings, etc. I would love it if it turns out I can work it out to build the walls with them, too.
I've read that for the purlins, white pine doesn't have enough tensile strength, so they would have to be red pine.

No comments: