I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

DVDs

Building Green, hosted by Kevin Contreras, has a DVD series out at our public library. It is really informative. I never saw an earthen floor like this one before. To seal the clay, straw, and sand linseed oil is mixed with beeswax and smoothed over the surface. The host passes on this type of floor and goes with concrete.
Contreras is building a straw bale house, in bros town somewhere, and takes the viewer through this process. One thing that really cracked me up is the show goes to 'the dump' in my brothers town. Bro always talks about how great this dump is and he even takes visitors there. Another thing is the host demolished the existing house to put up this enormous straw house. The house looks so big a family of 10 could live in there. The host did try to give it away but ran into some problems. He did manage to give away doors, windows, bricks, etc. before the demo.
Contreras talks about saving tons of money by going with steel framing rather than wood. His framing costs would have been 100 grand, but is only 55 grand with the steel. This house must be a half million dollar home at least! He is spending on just the framing what I want to spend on my entire house. The project has more guys working on it than you can believe and yet not one woman.
Despite it's flaws, it is worth screening. They have a Web site also buildinggreentv.com

No comments: