I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clearing

Bro is home and playing with his chainsaw. He is cutting away while I am clearing all the tons of logs and branches. Wow. You can't really grasp how much a tree can cover the ground when it is all cut up and laying on it. One average size tree can be four wheelbarrowfuls of logs and many armfuls of branches.
Bro, being an engineer, had to make a road first. This entailed selecting which area of the new forest (old goat field) to debranch in order to open up a roadway without cutting any trees.
He even found a grassy area in the woods for a turnaround spot. Now this road is an access road to take logs for dumping. I need to get all the tree parts as far away from the leach field as possible so the heavy equipment can get in and do their thing.
I worked on breaking down the old goat fence, barbed wire and fence posts in the roadway. I need to drive my truck right where the fence is/was.
That was a chore not only dealing with barbed wire, but just locating the fence since most of it is now part of the forest floor.
Then there is the disposing of all the rusted metal. Bro suggested leaving it all in one of the holes for the perk test. I did. lol

No comments: