I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Timberrrrrrr

We began really making some headway in getting trees down. It is unfortunate we have to take down as many trees as we have to, but I am glad it is all working out great. We are using all the hardwood, or will be, as firewood since I'll be heating with wood. Hopefully all of the red pine will be used in the house construction itself. Most all the huge white pines will be going to a saw mill.

I am getting over the shock of tree felling as much as possible. My original romantic idealism of being in the woods is turning into realistic stuff now. I mean the idea of living in the woods is to live in the woods. But first you have the county issues for the leach field whereas they want a huge leach field and then they want a clear perimeter around the field in order for the sun and wind to get at it and keep it dry.

Next, is the issue of the house. Well, it all seems well and good to build in between the trees, but you have to take some down for the house itself, and then some more for the driveway, and then some for the walkway, and then of course you have to take some more down to get huge trucks up next to the house to deliver shingles, logs, windows, concrete...things like that.

Then, you need a staging area, or several staging areas for things like placing the logs while you build with them, work area, eating areas, etc.

And lastly, who wants some 80' tree falling on their house? Not me. So, a few more have to come down.

A friend of mine said, "I don't know much about white pines 'cept they grow really big and then they fall down."
Well, friend, that sums up the matter.

No comments: