I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Monday, February 8, 2010

Drawing, drawing

I am spending most weekends drawing and researching details of log home construction. Whew!
Some people let their architect decide on windows/doors and colors for everything. For me, that just isn't what I want to do. I may only have this one opportunity to have a home of my own and I want it to have my signature on it.
I like making things and building a house is one BIG art project. I like knowing how it will go together as that is part of the house building experience. I also realized yesterday that it will leave me much better prepared to deal with the builder and the building inspector. Maybe if I was in another income bracket, like a more realistic one, lol, I would let others run the show, but who knows. Right now I feel more prepared to take on this very enormous project. The more I educate myself the better.
TBD: Do I want to walk out basement wall concrete or conventional framing? What angle do I want the porch roof as it connects to the house roof?
This weekend I spent figuring out window and door dimensions. Of course that means I ran around the house with my measuring tape and notepad and sifted through window and door specs from various manufacturers.
Ciao.

No comments: