I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Monday, March 26, 2012

Guaranteed Septic Sand

After the sand field was put in, I dug out a required amount of holes the required depth according to Health Dept. regulations. The County Guy came out and passed the perc test on the sand. If it didn't pass I would have had to have all the sand removed...Yes, all the sand removed and get different septic sand and do the entire leach field installation again. And, have it perc'd again.

This is why it is critical to purchase guaranteed septic sand. If the company guarantees it it means that if the sand fails the perc test the company will replace it at no cost. I never did find out if it means they will pay for removal and all redo excavation. The County Guy told me that there were two people that year that failed the perc and had to redo the entire field. One had sand not guaranteed and the other had sand that was. Must have been a nightmare.

Gratefully the sand I got is all good.

There has been some erosion since it has been a year and a half, but the new excavator guy said it isn't too bad. Of course I need more sand to make up for it and also to finish grading the slopes properly.

No comments: