I am building my first home. Lucky me because it is in the woods! It is an adventure I surely will not forget.

Me with Rory

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sammy arrived with the Excavator!



I left work early for the meet up and low and behold Sammy already had paved the way with the excavator. It looks like a real road now, to the building site. It was so cool to drive up and see that! It makes the dream project seem more real. It is coming alive, now.
The softball I found in the woods last week was in a new place. Sammy said his son, Smiley, threw it at him that day when they were playing in the woods, Oops, I mean working!
Sammy had already dug three 6'ers and I got working pick-axing the others, He had to step in and finish up the first one when it got deep and the rock got harder. I told him I did all the hard work breaking ground, though. lol
I could hardly contain myself seeing the earth down deep. This is what it is all about. The mysterious underbelly. What soils and rock are there, determines everything. Seeing the belly open and nice chunks of shale gives me hope. There is no solid clay, and no bedrock.
At 5 1/2' he had to stop digging. The shale is horizontal and solid at that point. I hope the county guy will go for it.
I poured a bucket of water, at Sammy's suggestion, before we left to see what it will do. It definitely drained at a slow pace and seemed to linger a bit at the bottom, but we didn't time it or measure it. I checked on it this morning and it was all drained out.
I would say judging form my know how (lol) that it is more on the positive side than the negative.
Sammy said sometimes a person has to get some sand not tons of sand, so there are variables in it, which I didn't realize. I thought it was either all in our own dirt, which is passing, or all above ground, which is failing. I think what he is saying that there are in between ways of approval. Like 10 truck loads of sand not exclusively 100's of truckloads.

No comments: